Wednesday, December 30, 2009

2009 in pictures

Here we are at the end of another year. I can't believe time is going by so quickly. This year has probably changed my life more than any other. Let's take a look back...

I knew this year would be more momentous than any other as I entered it looking like this:

I was 14 weeks pregnant...out of first tri and enjoying my new little bump that made my old clothes fit awkwardly and my new maternity clothes feel like I was wearing a tent.


I started the new hobby of quilting... I made this one for my mom and gave it to her on her birthday.


My mom was able to go with us to our big ultrasound on February 25th, where I was shocked to learn that the bean was a GIRL. I was sure I had a little boy hiding in there, but was delightfully surprised to learn that my future was full of hairbows, dresses and the mother-daughter bond.


In March, K and I decided that we should take a mini-vacation before the baby came. We went to Vegas for a long weekend. We did a lot of walking, shopping, and eating. It was wonderful to get away and spend some quality time with my husband... even if it was unreasonably cold in Nevada and we had to wear our coats.


I had a fantastic first grade class that was keeping me busy and entertained. In May they threw me a wonderful surprise baby shower. They had made me a book and brought gifts. We had food, drinks and games. And the best part was - it truly was a surprise! They did such a good job at keeping the secret, I had no idea and they had worked on it for months.


Shortly after that I had my baby showers with my families. They were great and I loved seeing everyone.


July came around so much quicker than I thought it would and before I knew it I was on the verge of giving birth to our daughter. July 5th (6 days before my due date) I went into labor at home. We went to the hospital and got all checked in.


July 6, 2009 at 1:03 am my life was forever changed. Kate Elizabeth was welcomed into the world and our tiny little family started a brand new adventure.


I was, and still am, so proud of my new baby girl. I will never forget the sense of accomplishment and joy I felt in bringing her into the world.


Our good news was followed by some bad news when my Papa suffered a fall at home breaking his hip and landing himself in the hospital. From there he moved into a rehabilitation facility where he stayed for 8 weeks. Unfortunately, he never regained his strength and is now in a wheelchair. The extensive time spent away from home also accelerated his Alzheimer's. He is now at home with my grandma and a 24-hour nurse. I visit whenever I can and still love spending time at their house.


The summer and fall was spent hanging out with my baby girl. I had resigned my position as a teacher to become a stay-at-home-mom and was happy to have all my time devoted to raising this new little person.


In October, K, Kate and I went to pumpkin patches and apple orchards and soaked up the beauty of fall. Kate had her first Halloween, for which she dressed up as a little cow. She was the sweetest cow I've ever seen! :) K and I also reveled in the fact that it had been a year since finding out I was pregnant. Where had the time gone?!


In November we celebrated Thanksgiving with our families. It was great to see everyone and eat lots of great food!


At the beginning of December my mom had knee surgery. Kate and I went and stayed with her for a week to help out while my dad worked. It was great to spend some quiet days at home with my mom.


Kate's first Christmas was nothing short of wonderful. We had 6 different celebrations over the course of 3 days. She has now entered the "mommy" stage and only wanted me to hold her, but that was ok by me. She was a good girl and handled the overwhelming chaos pretty well.

I can't wait to see what 2010 brings for us. I have many hopes for the new year and can't help but wonder what will be coming our way. I'm ready...bring it on 2010!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Such an amazing year and I've so enjoyed getting to share it with you and getting to know Moo!

Amy said...

what a wonderful it has been for you and your family! let it only get sweeter with time...

♥ Lovfer♥ said...

What a wonderful year it's been!

p.s. You looked ridiculously gorgeous right after giving birth. I think I might hate you a litte (I kid, I kid).

Rachel H. said...

What a great year for you guys?! So exciting! :)

Katie @ Loves of Life said...

okay, I just found your blog through a google search on belly photos actually...

I'm 23 weeks and was looking at pictures and your blog popped up. Kate is just so cute, gotta love them cheeks ;) Oddly enough, my name is Katie Elizabeth..weird?! (Actually, Katherine--but go by Kate and Katie) I'm a teacher too--I teach K-4th grade art. I am reeeally hoping I can resign my job once she is born..but we shall see how things work out.

Stop by my blog sometime...